New College School, Oxford
The New College School is an independent primary school for boys. Founded in 1379 for the education of Choristers the school, has occupied the current site since 1903. Located in a restricted city site within the conservation area of Oxford, the school identified a need for a gym/ multi-purpose space in addition to art and music spaces.
The schools existing 1960’s gym building was not big enough to support the current teaching requirements and was demolished, making way for a new building, consisting of a multi-purpose gym, art studio and two music rooms whose design, mass and use of materials was heavily influenced by the surrounding buildings, principally the main school building.
Client: The Warden and Fellows of New College
Completed: November 2007
Contract value: £1.1m