St. Edward’s School - Science Block, Oxford
TSH won an Architectural competition in the summer of 2006 to design a new Biology Building for St Edward’s School, Oxford.
The existing school site, located in a conservation area, dates back to 1873 and includes important listed buildings, so planning of the new building required careful consideration.
The new biology building consists of 6 biology labs, 1 prep room, office and 2 sport study classrooms and has been designed for excellent environmental performance. Elements such as ground source heat pumps rather than using conventional gas boilers, heat recovery ventilation and exposed thermal mass in the fabric, combined with secure night ventilation to achieve passive control of summer temperatures. In addition sprinklers were designed into the building to allow more design freedom, as well as protecting the schools investment in the building.
Client: Governor’s of St. Edward’s School
Completed: August 2008
Contract value: £2.5m